Richard and I brought home our first dog, Jasper, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in 1997, not long after we moved into our first house together. Our second CKCS arrived shortly after.
Since then we have moved several times! We now live in a house with land in Somerset with our two children, Christopher and Isla. We are extremely lucky that our lifestyle enables us to provide the time and attention needed by our dogs. Cally, a Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla joined us in 2003, followed by April, an English Pointer who joined us in 2005. In 2006 we had our first litter of wires and kept Apple. We found ourselves hooked on these dogs and since then our pack has steadily increased in size….
Although our dogs are our family pets, we are keen to prove them both in the ring and field, particularly if we are to breed from them. Despite only attending a small selection of events to do this, our dogs do us proud! Richard works our dogs and was actually awarded a certificate of merit with Cally at their first field trial (one of only a small number in the breed in the UK at that time to have done this), he can also very occassionally be seen in the ring! I am more often seen in the ring but am also keen to be involved with working the dogs!
We also like to think we give back something to our breeds and the dog world in general by helping and getting involved where we can, as can be seen by our roles and achievements below.
- Karen and Isla pass HWVA breed specific seminar, October 2016
- Karen – HWVA Media Co-Ordinator & Health Co-Ordinator, September 2013 to date
- Richard – HWVA Chairman 2009 – October 2012
- Richard – HWVA Field Trial Secretary 2008 – October 2012
- Karen – HWVA Health Co-ordinator 2011 – October 2012,
- Karen – designs and maintains HWVA website 2008 – October 2012
- Karen – editor of breed club newsletter and latterly yearbook 2009 – October 2012
- Richard – passed the HWVA breed specific seminar 2010
- Karen – Hon. Secretary of our local ringcraft club 2007 – 2009